Saturday, March 10, 2012

Race Report: Explore Your Limits 5k

A few weeks ago, as the days headed towards the Liberty Mountain 5k, I was a complete and utter mess. Sure I was pumped, but in a way that nearly drained me. This past week was a complete different episode. Instead of breaking down the race into segments and fretting over pace goals or rather any goals really, I contemplated asking the race director if I could switch from the 5k to the 10k.

When I printed the registration for Explore Your Limits back in January I was so undecided on which distance to pursue I filled out only some of the form and stuck it on the refrigerator. The website suggests the 5k is a great beginner trail race and I suppose I felt I was taking the easy route by running the 5k. I eventually, but only halfheartedly, committed to the 5k and officially submitted my registration. However, as the race approached I began to second guess my decision. I even got so far as to draft an email to the race director to see if I might be able to change to the 10k. I knew that packets had been filled and entrants posted so I chickened out on sending the email, deciding to stick with my decision instead of being a bother to the race director and volunteers (the deletion of that draft a few minutes ago reminded me that I had failed to write up a race report!).

Due to this wavering between race choices I never really thought about the actual race. Friday night I gathered my race gear but because we were also bringing the children along for the race there was so much of their stuff to get ready that I again didn't have the time to worry over the looming race. I was more concerned about the news that, due to bad weather over the preceding days, the Blue Ridge Parkway was temporarily closed. I spent an hour studying alternate routes on Google Maps and worrying over how we were actually going to get to the race headquarters. The race itself was never really in the forefront of my mind.

Saturday morning's schedule was carefully planned out and executed and before you knew it we were at Explore Park a half hour ahead of schedule (thanks in part to the re-opening of the Blue Ridge Parkway). I was thankful to have a friend from our weekly Wednesday trail run there to warm-up with. We ran a two mile warm-up and I realized how little I knew the course even though it was my third year running this 5k.

The time flew by and before long the 10k race was beginning. Those of us running the 5k lined both sides of the road about an 1/8 of a mile from the starting line as the 10k race started promptly at 9 and then the 5k staggered ten minutes behind. It was enthralling to see the 10k racers run past, including a man around my father's age at the back of the pack. As he ran by I thought to myself I hope I'm still running trails when I am a septuagenarian. I know people half this gentleman's age whom the thought of trails alone would have kept them at home, his presence really was a source of encouragement. 

As the 10k crowd cleared those of us left running the 5k starting moving towards the start, I was going to place myself near the front when I remembered that being passed can sometimes do a number of my confidence level. Deciding I'd rather pass others during the race than be passed, I placed myself mid-pack and checked the laces on my shoes. 

Photo Credit Mountain Junkies LLC...I'm on the right.
Now even though this race was only a few days ago, it's all become a big muddy blur in my mind. The course was a masterpiece of mud and muck and I was so focused on staying upright and dodging puddles that the time hurried by. I ran fast and hard but I also remembered to have fun, which is something I think I'd forgotten the week before. There was slipping and sliding, narrow escapes from tumbles and falls and a section of switchbacks through gunk that had me clambering with the aide of trees through the trail. I was surprised a mile or so in when I passed the talented young girl who normally beats me without question at these events. I had the passing thought, "I can tell Todd I was in front of so-and-so for a few seconds ", but to my even greater surprise she never passed me back. On the long climb to the finish I slowed my run down enough to recover my breathing so that I could run the straight away to the finish line a little faster. I'm not sure that was necessary and perhaps I should have given it my all on that last climb. Besides, I can't say that I was all that fast as I neared the finish line. 

I was very thankful that Todd and our children were at the finish line. I know it isn't easy for Todd to have all four children during a race but I appreciate getting to see them and hearing their cheering voices at the end of a race. When Todd said I was the first female to finish the first thought I had was and I didn't even set any goals for myself! My second thought was maybe he was mistaken, he was after all, watching our children and taking pictures. Turns out I was first overall female. And that, I must admit, is exciting. However, I'm just as excited that I finished 10th overall in the 5k. Finally, I was assured by my decision to run the shorter distance. I finished in a time of 24:33, a PR but again I don't feel that's the best I have in me, especially since I know I geared it down on that last hill. Last year I walked the hill, this year I ran the entire course, next year maybe run those hills a little faster and shave off a few more seconds. 

This was the second race in the Mountain Junkies RNUT Series, and I am feeling ever more excited about this upcoming spring and the rest of the series. From this point on though I plan on doing the longer distance when given a choice between two races, which includes a 10 miler, a half marathon and a full marathon. 

No comments: