Wednesday, September 11, 2013

You Are (at least part of) My Sunshine

Every Wednesday we head over to the Snoflex parking lot around 5 pm. It is one of the highlights of my week, especially as far as running is concerned.

On Wednesdays I know the usuals will be there and generally a surprise guest or two. I never ever dread this run, I am always anxiously awaiting Todd's arrival so we can hit the road. Pulling into the parking lot is like opening a gift, I'm always excited to see who shows up to run with us. I've heard mention once or twice that Wednesday's run has a reputation to be fast, and while it is an important run in my weekly training I also want it to be welcoming.

From six miles to twelve or more the group always starts together even if we break into smaller groups later on. The pace varies on who shows up or who raced the weekend prior or following the run, but it's always a good time for me as I hope it is for all those who attend.

It's been suggested to me that I'm obsessed with running. You've caught me, so I am. It's not the only thing I love and designate my time to, I love my family and my children, I'm focused on their education and their upbringing even if they appear to be wild animals in your presence (I apologize, we are all a work in progress!) I'm obsessed with music and this ridiculous stuff I tell my children is dancing when they catch me in the kitchen. I may even be a tad bit obsessed with that Candy Crush saga game (but you will never see me post that on social media).

I'm rambling and I know it. Point is, I'm okay with my commitment and preoccupation with running. I own it now. I have come to terms with it's hold on me and to be honest I've quite possibly never been healthier or happier, though it may not always appear so. Occasionally though, when I'm running, I lose my direction, I forget which trail I'm on or where I'm headed. Lately, this applies to the bigger picture. But not today. Not right now.

I focused on enjoying my run this past Saturday, and I had a good day. And now, once more, I'm in love with everyone.

Tonight was one of the best runs I've had all year. It wasn't particularly special in any way that I can exactly pinpoint either. We started together after dawdling for far too long in the parking lot. We hung together a ways but split off into separate groups a time or two. It was hot, I was sweaty. But I felt good, healthy, I felt strong, capable. And I just loved every damn minute of it.

There's no way to convey what the group does for me other than to say, quite simply, you light up my life. You make me push harder. You make me slow down. You make me reflect. You make me look forward. You make me laugh. You make me second guess. You make me calm down. You make me feel good. You make me proud to be a runner. You make me happy to be one of the group.

And I just want to thank you for it.

So thanks.

And I'll see you next week.

-Alexis


1 comment:

Jeanne Backofen Craig said...

This was my first Wednesday with the group, and I thank you all for being so welcoming. As I read this, I thought, yes, yes, yes, this is a wonderful group of people. I enjoyed meeting you and hope to run with you again sometime (well, at least for a while! I don't think I can keep up with you for the entire time! LOL)

Happy Trails!