Monday, September 9, 2013

Odyssey Trail Running Rampage Race Report

Odyssey Trail Running Rampage 40 Miler

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Douthat State Park

Saturday Todd and I went to Douthat to run the ultra marathon that is part of the Trail Running Rampage that is held each year by Odyssey Adventure Racing in Douthat State Park. It was Todd's first ultra in 2010 and he's gone back every year. The trail rampage 40 miler consists of three loops primarily on trail with no more than about four miles of pavement the entire race.

We planned on this race despite how close it was in proximity to Iron Mountain because Todd is training for Grindstone and I had a comped entry from last year. But then Iron Mountain came and with it my most disappointing and difficult ultra to date. The trail rampage switched from just being another run to being a redemption run for me. Despite the best intentions of friends who suggested I was crazy and maybe a bit dumb to run back to back ultra races I was hellbent on a good day, a good run.

I didn't stress the rampage and feeling good after Iron Mountain I ran Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday but not further than about 3 miles each day. That change alone felt good, it's been so long since I'd enjoyed just a good short jaunt with friends. On Friday evening we hung out with Joe and Emily and went to Rivermont Pizza, we talked about music and movies. I allowed no self-imposed pressure on myself for Saturday's race. I had but one goal, have a good day, a good run.

We awoke at 3:30 on Saturday and drove to Douthat. I ate two pieces of cinnamon toast, a few powdered donuts and half a PB&J on the way. We arrived in Douthat at 6 a.m. We checked in and like the year before the next hour flew by between race briefings and gathering gear. 

I decided on a few more small goals. 1.) Have a good day 2.) Run steady, aiming for 2:30 loops and 3.) Start the third loop not absolutely dreading the idea of running a third loop.

We started at 7 and I fell in with Brian Keefer. We ran a short ways before switching to hiking. If running the year before had taught me nothing else it was to respect that first climb. Todd wasn't far ahead and he slowed when he looked back and saw us. The three of us hiked and jogged the first climb, about 3 miles, together. 

On Thursday, Jeremy was giving me somewhat of a hard time when he asked me quite seriously if I even liked running. Of course I liked running I'd answered without hesitation. No one moves for 50 miles through mountains without a little bit of love for what they do. However, the thought still took up residence because it begged the question, am I still in love with running like I used to be. Do I appreciate the measure, soak in the beauty and the privilege that is trail running? To this effect I honed in on the beauty of the trail on Saturday morning, the sunshine bleeding through the trails landing on the rocks. I noticed for the first time the waterfall from which the Blue Suck Falls likely gets its name. Despite the burning in my calves and the warming temperatures I felt a sense of strength that moves me forward, a rippling effect growing stronger as we moved up that first climb. I answered the question once more, to myself, more fervently, of course I love this.

I was going to have a good day.

Todd, Brian and I arrived together at the first aid station where I topped my bottle off. From there the trail descends for a couple of miles. It's slightly steep and a tad technical lined with a few sharp switchbacks. I decided to take it easy and let Todd pass by admitting that the goal was a good day. Relax and enjoy this I reminded myself. I ran about three miles and had to stop for the first bathroom break and Brian ran on by. However, I caught back up with Brian at the next aid station, mile 9 in the loop.

Coming into this aid station I felt a bit of stomach trouble which I felt was coming from the straps of my hydration vest bouncing repeatedly on my mid-section. Coming into the aid station I asked if anyone had scissors. One volunteer had a knife and he cut the straps from my vest. He looked nervous but I was so thankful. It was also at this point, having eaten three GU so far that I kind of swore them off. Each one was making my stomach hurt for about five minutes after. I knew I would need to switch to different fuel.  

I was first female at this point but assumed Sophie to be close behind and in fact kept expecting her to pass me at any moment. The next section from mile 9 to 11 is rolling and there is a good hiker to eat on. I hiked taking note of the climb in planning for steady loops. However, coming into the mile 11 aid station I realized I was ahead of my 2:30 goal for the loop. Just beyond the aid station, I took to walking on a very flat trail knowing there was a hill ahead. Almost immediately Sophie Speidel ran by.

I said hello and she said "Who's that?" I told her it was me, Alexis, and she asked if I'd raced last weekend. I told her I had but hadn't fared well and that being registered for this I'd come out anyways for a good run. She told me to take it easy and ran off up the hill we'd finally arrived at. I kept walking up the hill but I could still see her. Without a word I picked it up. 

Brain Keefer and I finished the first loop right behind Sophie with me berating myself just a tad for running 2:24 when I was aiming for 2:30. I wasn't running Sophie's race, I had to remember I was running my own race with my own goals. I look up to Sophie, I also look Sophie up on UltraSignup when I'm registered for a race she's run. She's a strong trail runner who inspires me. I conceded defeat to an inspiration and settled back into my own race. 

My right foot was a little sore from where my Hokas split open last weekend at Iron Mountain, I thought about running to the car for my Bajadas but I decided the Hokas haven't really let me down yet so I stuck with them. I grabbed half a PB&J and a slice of watermelon I'd cut the night before. I refilled my water bottle and grabbed an extra 20 oz for the climb back up Blue Suck Falls. 

Brian was still there and I called for him to come with me as I left the transition area. I didn't see Sophie, I didn't know if she was far ahead or not. But I settled back into my goals, a good steady run of 40 miles. I reminded myself that I wanted to feel good going into lap three. I ate and drank on the second climb and it was slower but not by much compared to the first lap. 

As we climbed I apologized to Keefer. I admitted that I'd dropped the pace when Sophie passed me because I am competitive. I told him that I couldn't promise him I wouldn't do it again if someone else passed us. It's a fault I own. 

We met Brian Kelleher on this climb, we'd seen him off and on in the first loop. He's from Richmond and knows my buddy John Casilly. He talked and the time passed quickly. He flew by us on the downhill after the aid station at the shelter. I stopped again for a bathroom break and Keefer ran on. I didn't see him again until the aid station at mile 9 (mile 22+) in the second loop. He told me first place female was only a few minutes ahead. I grabbed a few cookies and more gummy bears and held onto them until I got to the climb a half mile up ahead on trail.


All day I'd been hoping to enjoy myself and not start loop three dreading going back out. We ran the rest of the second loop steady and came back into the transition area at 4:56. I wasn't dreading the last lap, so far, success. I saw Sophie on the way into her third lap, she looked strong, I didn't think I stood a chance of seeing her again.

I ran to the bathroom in the transition area and then over to my drop bag, I took off my vest and crammed what I could in my water bottle. I got another half a PB&J and slice of watermelon. I stuffed a granola bar in my bra and ice from our cooler in my water bottle. I grabbed my extra 20 oz and was headed out when I realized I didn't have salt tabs. I thought I didn't need them and the clock already read 5:02 but I went back for them anyways, nervous runner that I am.


I took to walking right away, even in the flatter spots where I'd just a few minutes before seen Sophie running. Keefer told me he thought we could run 2:45 or 3 hours for this loop, we would definitely hit 8 hours. He seemed happy about this, I won't lie, I was not. I continued to walk but was quiet, I ate but I was in a low of sorts. But I know now I'm getting stronger because of what happened next.


I realized I'd run out of goals. I was having a good day, I was enjoying my run, I had entered the last lap ready to run it but I was now, at least to a certain end, out of goals. I decided I wouldn't win but I did not want to run 8 hours. I might not PR but I could decrease the time between Sophie if I stopped any defeatist talk and actually enjoyed the day I was having. I decided to eat on the climb. So I ate every bit of real food I had grabbed at the aid station. I decided I would hike to the aid station at the top but then I was going to give all of what was left and let the chips fall where they may.

I felt bad at the aid station at the shelter because Keefer stopped for water and I left on a mission without word of farewell. I'm sorry for this Keefer but I had to finish out the good day I was having. And so I turned on my iPod and I ran.

And it was like a gift to myself. I pushed the descent for the first time that day and it felt great like it did at Petits Gap a few weeks back. I vowed not to look at my watch for the rest of the run but just feel the pace running whatever my body would allow.  And it felt absolutely awesome, it felt like the first time in months like I was racing during an actual race. I basked in every step, I loved every mile. I didn't think I'd see Sophie again but I ran as well as I could anyways remembering the quote "Give all of yourself regardless of outcome."

Then at about mile 8 in the third loop I came upon Sophie. It surprised me and probably gave me a little more push. It was getting hotter and it was getting harder to maintain my pace but I kept on giving it my best effort. The food I'd eaten on the climb up the falls was wearing off and I could feel I was beginning to bonk a little. At the AS at mile 9 in the loop I grabbed a few more cookies and gummy bears. I saw Kim who said a quick hello but I was focused on getting to the end. 

This is one great thing about a loop, you are so familiar on your final loop that you know what to expect and can plan accordingly. Though we have only ever seen this loop when we've run the race the loop seems etched in my mind. I pushed onward walking as little as possible.

Coming into the area around the lake I knew I was so close but it was so hot as you're exposed to the sun more through here. I walked a little more and looked for a good song on my iPod to carry me through. When I finally reached the bridge that is basically the end I looked at my watch for the first time since the transition area and it said 7:30. This was pleasing but instantly I thought I might have run more of the lake trail section had I know I was that close to hitting 7:30. As it was I crossed the finish in 7:32 with Charlie, Dennis, Joe and Todd all standing there and Ronny giving hi-fives. 

I was very happy with my day and my effort. I kept steady as I could and ran a 10 minute PR for the course. I had a great time as always with friends and made a few new ones. I was excited to see so many Lynchburg Trail Runners come out and run the race which also holds a marathon, half and 5 miler event. Charlie Peele won the ultra and seven of the top 14 spots were filled by Lynchburg Trail runners in the ultra event which I think is awesome even if it was a small event. It's a great course, challenging but beautiful. I doubt I will do Iron Mountain and the Trail Rampage back to back next year and it will be hard which one to do as they both have a different set of wonderful things to offer. 

In the end, I had a good day. I needed that. 

-Alexis

For my own record I enjoyed seeing the splits for the past two years over the three loops:

2012:
2:14, 2:36, 2:51  Overall 7:42

2013:
2:24, 2:32, 2:35 Overall 7:32




No comments: