Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Send Me On My Way

As I begin to switch from peak training mode this week to taper mode I will turn my focus from the running aspect of big events to the mental aspect involved. I tend to think that, for me at least, racing is nearly equally split between physical ability, ability to eat and mental strength. A deficit of any of these can spell doom.

One of the things I have used in the past and will continue to apply is having a mantra, a motivating chant to push me along during particularly tough spots, to get me over the wall or low points in a long run. At Western States it was "Relax, eat, drink, be patient." The relax and be patient came from Dr. Horton's parting words for me as I began that longest run to date for me, the eat and drink being somewhat obvious but the reminder still necessary. I repeated this to myself for at least the first fifteen hours fifteen hundred times.

Last year I made a list for Masochist, the list included reminders and advice, quotes and memories. I carried the list in my pocket the entire race, I had planned to pull it out when I hit the wall (which was placed strategically on the climb up from Salt Log Gap) but I never needed it, I believe it was making the list that resulted in not really needing the list. I plan on compiling a similar list for this years run. I believe it will help send me on my way!

Do you have a mantra or something you do/use as a mental trick or pick me up during long runs or racing events to help get you up and over your wall?   If so, please share.



-Alexis

No comments: