Monday, August 26, 2013

100 miles on my mind

Earlier this year I decided that I was going to run the Beast Series.  Or maybe it was last December when I was pacing Alexis at Hellgate.  Either way, I decided that I was going to tackle the Beast Series this year, and then run different stuff in 2014.  You know, some of those cool races that the out of town runners talk about or wear shirts from when they show up to run the Lynchburg Ultra Series races.  So I decided to go ahead and get the Beast Series behind me before I get too old, and then I'd be able to pick and choose my races and not feel tied to a Series.

Then Alexis got into Western States, and we went out west and had a great time.  Then the NEED to run Grindstone to complete a series, was replaced by the DESIRE to run an epic mountain race.  When I was crewing Alexis at Western States, I met dozens of 100 mile runners, and it was inspiring to hear the way they talked about the distance with reverence, respect, and awe.  I know a lot of ultra runners, but there was something different about some of these people.  Something happens at 100 miles, and I'm hoping to find out what it is.

It has been proposed by a running friend that ALL ultra runners are running away from something, but I think that it is just as likely that we are running toward something.  Looking for something.  We just don't know what it is.  Hopefully we'll know it when we find it.

-Todd

No comments: