Friday, April 19, 2013

Today is a Gift.

If every run were like this than there would be no question. There would be no question of confidence or why I run my body into the ground.

I met Kathie at about 5:30 in the parking lot. The plan was to run a few quick miles and then meet a group assembling to preview the Bald Mountain 10k course at 6. We started down Lake Trail at a comfortable pace talking about our busy days and how we wouldn't change them for the world. We were almost at the camp when I started to tell her about Wednesday's run, I told her about our final climb the night before and then inquired Want to see it? And just like that, about-face on Lake Trail we were headed to the Radar Tower climb.

The climb was hard, but perhaps a little easier than the night before when I had seven miles already on the legs. We were two-thirds up the climb when I realized it was already 6 pm, the group would soon be starting. We picked up the pace and headed for Snoflex.

When we reached the parking lot it was five minutes after six and there was no sign of runners, we asked a pair of gentleman had they seen a group of runners. They pointed us in the right direction and we were off. Headed down Monogram we didn't see any runners or even a sign that there was a fun run occurring.  But Kathie picked up the pace in pursuit and I fell in the best that I could, remarking that this was my race pace.  Which is true, I am after all an ultra runner. Reaching the base of the Monogram we saw Josh Yeoman and a few runners. Pleased that we were on the right path we didn't slow but hammered the whole way down to Five Points.

It was in this descent that I found my legs.

For weeks, going on months I've been waiting for a run like this. When it happens, and you feel it happening, it's best to realize how lucky you are and just go with it.

We started to happen upon more and more participants and I started in on the chase. If you know me, than you'll know there is just about nothing I like more than a good chase, I realized then that starting at the back of a fun run is a perfect way to play this favorite game of mine.

The course was well marked and had a number of aid stations, just like a race and the game was even more fun this way. A few times I slowed, to make sure Kathie's ankle was okay when she turned it, to recover on a long climb, to talk to Craig about his injuries and new orthotics, but there were a few times where we turned it up and ran like Cheetahs (or so I'd like to think). But instead of pressure of performance I ran with intense enjoyment, a child-like energy pulsating through me.

At one point Kathie told me that I was a strong runner and she came across so honest that I knew she meant it. Better yet, for the first time in a long while, I felt it.

We played hard through to the end and afterwards I had a hard time pulling myself away from the wonderful community of friends and extended family I have made. I could have stood around until dark enjoying their company. I came away from the evening's run recharged, a reminder of so many things I treasure about running; the people, the trails, the power these legs can employ on a good day, on a good run.

-Alexis

2 comments:

Kathie said...

Alexis I haven't run that hard in a while and it was so great!!!! I did mean it when I said you are a strong runner. You are fluid and when you want to catch someone you do run like a cheetah! Haha.
You pushed me to work hard and you showed kindness when you stopped with me to let me "ice" my ankle in the stream for a few moments. I know that the competitor in you wanted to keep pursuing the other runners and yet you didn't hesitate to hold up for me. I thoroughly enjoyed our hike and chase run last night, and getting a chance to catch up on life with you was definitely a highlight! See you on the trail again in a few days... off to ice the pretty purple ankle :)

Unknown said...

" I am happy to find this post very useful for me, as it contains lot of information.
Accounts Software For Small Business
Simran Kaur"